Monday, 11 May 2020

DAY SIX: A DEVIL OF A DAY...


The Devil's Staircase  Photo credit:  William Janssen

The official itinerary:

Sunday May 10 – Day 6 – Kingshouse to Kinlochleven


Distance = 14.5km. Total Ascent = 425m

Today’s hike provides some spectacular walking across inspiring mountainous terrain. The Devil’s Staircase awaits – a zig zag climb up to the highest point of the West Highland Way (548m) where the mountainous views are stunning. On a clear day, you may even be able to see Ben Nevis (1344m), the highest Munro and our final challenge on the last day. After a gentle meander across the moorland, we’ll head down to Kinlochleven where a warm friendly welcome awaits us at a small family run guest house.

Today was to be a challenging day with the climbing of The Devil's Staircase.


Ben Nevis  Photo credit:  Jim McGeachan

My intended location for today's County Way is currently closed.

Try as I may, I just couldn't come up with an equivalent here close to home.  I have decided it doesn't really matter today because today is Mother's Day.

This day was intended to be a time to take a moment to stop and appreciate the women in our lives that have nurtured us along our "way".

I have many in my life but of course there is one in particular that I celebrate and appreciate today.  My mom, Rita whose maiden name is McIntyre.  My Scottish connection for this day.

Homemade apple fritters

My husband and I did a "porch" visit with her dropping off treats and a handmade card -- I actually used construction paper and crayons.


I must say my drawing skills haven't improved much since I was a kid.  I'm not sure she realized that orange "thing" was intended to be a Monarch butterfly.

Oh well, it's the thought that counts.

Since the County Stairway was off the table, my day (as seems to be the habit) became all about food.

I had made a batch of fritters in the morning but I felt that in honour of Mother's Day I could do something a little more formal -- afternoon tea.

A very British thing to do.












Okay so I opted for something other than tea for my beverage of choice.  


I finished it off with one of the blueberry scones I had made the other day.  They freeze really well.  Good thing otherwise there wouldn't have been any let for today's "Tea".


With all these tasty morsels tucked away I needed to get out and at least move a little bit.  We took Burghley across to the farm where a friend of ours happened to be walking his four ( yes, I said four!) Basset hounds.

We have invited friends with dogs to come here -- maintaining physical distancing, of course.  It gives their dogs a chance to have a good run.

Burghley has been trying his herding skills out on them.  I give him "A" for his effort.



Music Credit:  Eddi Reader "Comin' Through The Rye" from the album The Songs Of Robert Burns


Total Distance:  3.7 kms    5375 steps

4 comments: