Monday, 4 May 2020
HALF THE FUN IS THE ANTICIPATION.....RIGHT?!
Well today was supposed to be the start of my Big Adventure -- a 7 day, 154 kilometre hike along the West Highland Way of Scotland.
Unfortunately, like many other people my trip was cancelled due to the Global Pandemic.
Truth be told, I was actually going to take this trip this time last year. I turned 60 last year. A pretty significant milestone that I thought warranted more than your average celebration.
For many reasons, some quite personal, I decided that it was just not the year for it. No regrets for the decision but MAN! Who would have ever imagined that we would be experiencing what we are today.
Oh well, enough of that.....
First World problems, right? I have way too many reasons to feel blessed despite the current situation.
Part of the fun is the anticipation and planning that goes into trips like this and I had already done a lot of preparation.
Seven days of hiking over various terrain culminating in a climb to the top of Ben Nevis, the highest Munro (mountain) in the British Isles meant some physical training was required as well as some good hiking gear.
I had been running hills even when I was in Florida. Well they were actually causeways because there really aren't many hills on the Gulf Coast.
I had been hiking in my new hiking boots in order to break them in. I had purchased trekking poles, something I have never used before and was looking forward to seeing what they were all about. I just couldn't let this all go to waste. Soooooooooo…….
I have decided to do my version of the West Highland Way right here in the County. This area was settled by Empire Loyalists so it is very much connected to Great Britain. There were also settlers here in the 1700's who were retired military members from the British 84th Highland Regiment, many of whom were Scottish.
I myself have Scottish and County roots. My mother's parents immigrated from Scotland and settled on a farm here. My mother was born in the County. I also played a very Scottish instrument when I was younger.
My plan is to complete my own 7 day adventure here using the West Highland Way itinerary as a guide. I will seek out locations and routes that have some connection to the original plan and then blog about it at the day's end...probably while sipping some type of libation that would be suited to the Scottish Highlands.
Why am I doing this? Well...
Since returning from our Florida holiday in March two weeks early and self isolating for the recommended 14 days, my husband and I have been physical distancing. Our outings consist mainly of grocery, pharmacy and "takeout" pickups.
Living in a rural area means we are able to go outside for fresh air and physical activity without the risk of encountering very many people...none really....the odd person in the distance, maybe. I wave a lot at passing vehicles. 😔
I am so happy that the weather seems to have taken a turn to more Spring-like conditions. We will no longer have to wander aimlessly about our yard with no real purpose. There is yard work to be done!
To that end, I really needed to find a focus and I guess a distraction from the disappointment of the trip cancellation.
I will now have a daily purpose seeking out adventures on the modified version of......
Check out the "real" itinerary here: The West Highland Way -- Live Out Loud Adventures
I hope you will join me. 😊💓
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
Yes you've heard that saying before. It might seem like an easy way out of blogging but I am sooooooo tired that my words probably wou...
-
Despite a few logistical challenges, backed up traffic on the 401 and long security line-ups the trip from home to the airport went very smo...






No comments:
Post a Comment