Today was to be all about travel and getting to the hotel where I was to meet up with the rest of the group. I was going to be travelling on my own and only knew one other person who was taking this trip when I booked it. Pretty brave of me, I would say.
After the trip was cancelled our tour guide, Alison, arranged a gathering on Zoom. She had prepared a virtual experience of the entire 154 kms of the Way. Definitely a much easier trek than the real one would have been since we were able to do the hike from the comfort of our homes while sipping on an appropriate libation.
That was when I met the others that would have been my travelling companions for the next 11 days. They all seemed like a really fun bunch with most enjoying a "dram" or 2 of some fine Scottish Whiskey on our virtual trek.
Today on the "County Way" schedule was planning the upcoming days of this experience with an eye to keeping it in some way connected to the original West Highland Way experience.
Much to my surprise I was even able to come up with something for today that actually linked to the Scottish experience.
We were supposed to stay at a beautiful luxury boutique hotel in Glasgow called Hotel du Vin.
Hotel du Vin Glasgow
Literally translated du Vin means "some wine" -- appropriate location for me some would say.
Guess what it's address is.....wait for it......
One Devonshire Gardens!!
Okay so it might be a bit of a stretch but stay with me. Here in the County we have a boutique hotel/inn called the Devonshire aaannnd I certainly knew where I could get "some wine".
So there you have it....connection found!
Tomorrow was to be the first leg of our seven day journey. We were to complete the route from south to north, the thinking behind this being the southern stages are easier and will prepare the hiker for the more demanding northern stages.
Day #1 route starts at Milngavie and is 19 kms with relatively flat terrain ending in the village of Drymen where we were to spend the night in an 18th century inn near Loch Lomond.
I have placed a link here West Highland Way to a You Tube video that gives you a great visual overview of the entire route. Enjoy!






No comments:
Post a Comment