Bridge of Orchy Photo Credit: Aileen Candlish
The official itinerary:
Saturday May 9 – Day 5 – Bridge of Orchy to Kingshouse
Distance = 19km. Total Ascent = 202m
Today offers a glimpse into the wild and remote as we trek through one of the last great wildernesses of Europe. The Way follows a track that climbs gently past some plantations and then out onto Rannock Moor, a section considered to be the remotest and wildest of the whole Way. On a good day the walking is relatively straightforward but if the weather is bad, the elements can make for a challenging going across this exposed moor. Bleak and beautiful at the same time … it all depends on the conditions! As the path descends from the moor to join the road again, we can catch a view of one of Scotland’s most photographed mountains, Buachaille Etive Mor. We plan to rest in Kings House Hotel, a hotel that dates from the 17th century that was originally used as barracks for George 3rd’s troops.
It was to be a day that could present some challenges if the weather was bad on the Rannock Moor. By the look of it though today would have been one of those “bleak and beautiful” days.
Not so much here.
The sun was short lived. The morning sky quickly turned overcast with, dare I say, flurries. It was a day that would leave you "chittering". No matter, the task at hand was again to discover the "Scottish" in the County.
To that end, I set off on my bicycle in search of the County Way.
To that end, I set off on my bicycle in search of the County Way.
I am certain there are many bridges along the West Highland Way but during the last two days of the journey two are specifically mentioned.
The Bridge of Orchy, pictured above, was to be our end of day yesterday and our starting point this morning in the official schedule.
Today's route would have taken us to the Ba bridge which funnily enough takes you across the River Ba. 😃
Ba Bridge Photo Credit: Lorie K. Risner
When I was preparing for this part of the journey I knew immediately where to find my County bridge.
I had intended to do this part of the County Way on my bike so despite the chilly and windy conditions I resisted the urge to hop in my car and set out pedaling into a headwind....
wearing a toque, mittens, fleece lined wind pants and several layers on top. It was so worth the effort.
The weather didn’t improve much as the day progressed but if I was hiking The Way in Scotland the journey would continue.
Mother Nature certainly seemed to have her seasons confused. My Canadian and Scottish roots mean I'm a hardy soul...my hubby too, even though he wasn't looking amused in this video clip. He felt much better after his cup of hot chocolate.
These poor blooms were probably wondering what hit them.
The King's House Hotel was where we were to rest our weary bones after our trek across Rannock Moor.
Our farm is home to an old residence that dates back to sometime between 1840 and 1850. The property itself was part of a Loyalist Land Grant in 1804.
I think it has some characteristics similar to the King's House.
It has been boarded up for quite sometime so not a place you would want to spend the night. I don't even want to know what creatures might be sharing your room if you did. Yike's
Mother Nature certainly seemed to have her seasons confused. My Canadian and Scottish roots mean I'm a hardy soul...my hubby too, even though he wasn't looking amused in this video clip. He felt much better after his cup of hot chocolate.
These poor blooms were probably wondering what hit them.
The King's House Hotel was where we were to rest our weary bones after our trek across Rannock Moor.
Our farm is home to an old residence that dates back to sometime between 1840 and 1850. The property itself was part of a Loyalist Land Grant in 1804.
It has been boarded up for quite sometime so not a place you would want to spend the night. I don't even want to know what creatures might be sharing your room if you did. Yike's
Total Distance: 14 kms cycling 5.5 km hiking 8105 steps
Here is some extra footage of my search for the County Way Bridge. Completely by coincidence the song in the video is Granted by Josh Groban from his album...wait for it....
Bridges!
Here is some extra footage of my search for the County Way Bridge. Completely by coincidence the song in the video is Granted by Josh Groban from his album...wait for it....
Bridges!











❤️
ReplyDelete