Wednesday, 6 May 2020

DAY ONE: A SURPRISING RUN AND A HIKE INTERRUPTED



photo credit:  kati-katiskrabbels.blogspot.com

The Official itinerary:

Tuesday May 5 – Day 1 – Milngavie to Drymen

Distance = 19km, Total Ascent = 245m
After lightening our bags for the day and donning our boots, we’ll head over to Milngavie by way of transport to begin our incredible journey.  The West Highland Way begins in the town centre of Milngavie. This first section, from Milngavie to Drymen, is a good warmup with relatively flat terrain. We’ll end the day in the village of Drymen where we’ll stay in a 18th century Inn near Loch Lomond. 





I decided to kick off this day with a run in order to get some of today's distance under my belt. I wasn't expecting it to be part of the "County Way" experience but within the first kilometre I realized that it was going to be more than a means to the required distance.




The first thing I realized was that the route I had selected was relatively flat with only a few minor hills at the beginning.  I also was carrying an "easy run" pace so it allowed me to take in this beautiful sunny but rather chilly morning. 

I found my first connection just slightly over 2kms into my run.


  

The "official" route today would take us through Mugdock Country Park which is in part know for it's stunning bluebell wood where these lovely flowers would be in full bloom.




We have our own spring flora that is equally beautiful and was very much on full display on my route.








My running route takes me past flowing creeks and streams, woodlots, farmland and vineyards.  It follows quiet country roads and a repurposed railbed.






And...…...




Goes right through a golf course and we all know where that frustrating game originated -- the modern version anyway.



So I ticked a few boxes off today's adventure and covered much of the distance with my morning run.  That included finishing near a "loch"!



My morning route.



I was famished when I got home so I had a bowl of rice pudding that I had made yesterday.  



I had been looking at the dinner menu of the Hotel du Vin and saw that they had it on their dessert menu.  I love it and have a tried and true recipe that includes soaking the raisins in rum.  



In honour of this week I changed it up and soaked them in some Scottish whiskey.  It was tasty! 

Next on my list was to give my trekking poles a try.  I figured I had better get used to them before I tackled trickier terrain later in the journey.








I donned my hiking socks, hiking boots and backpack and headed across the road to our farm with my trusty puppy, Burghley Baker.  




Fun Fact:  Burghley is named after Burghley House in England.  Long story but it has to do with a trip I took to the Burghley Horse Trials in Stamford, England a few years ago.



I adjusted to poles to the recommended height and they seemed to work well.

Less than 2 kms into our hike I got a call from my vet saying that he was available to give my horse his annual vaccinations -- deemed an essential service because spring creates environments favourable to disease.

Press pause.  Off to the barn with mask, disinfectant and carrots in hand.




My horse, Prince, is a Belgian/Morgan.  A big boy and a County Boy.  Born and raised in Rosehall, Prince Edward County, we have been together since he was 2.  He is now 27.





Guess what?  On the farm where Prince is boarded they raise Angus Cattle.  So a little bit of Scotland even here.  

Another Fun Fact (or perhaps a confession)

I have a bit of an unnatural obsession about Highland Cattle.  I just can't help myself.  They are so adorable.  I had once thought I would like to raise a few on our farm but who was I kidding.  They would all die of old age.  There is no way that they wouldn't be anything other than pets. 

My hope was that during the West Highland Way trek I would encounter a herd and be able to give one of them a hug.....(reading that back in edit it sounds kinda weird)

But I digress..

I completed the rest of my distance by finishing my hike with my hubby and Burghley.

Total distance: 20.39 km  21,307 steps

Today's weather:




All in all, a great day on The County Way!

2 comments: